From the North:

Take Colorado Blvd South from I-70 approx 4.5 miles. Turn left onto Leetsdale for approx .5 miles. Turn right onto S. Cherry St. 425 S. Cherry St is the first tall building on your right just past Noodles & Company.

If you miss Leetsdale and reach Alameda, you can still turn left and then turn right onto Leetsdale at the 2nd light. Then turn right at the 1st light which is S. Cherry St. 425 S. Cherry St is the first tall building on your right just past Noodles & Company.

From the South:

Take I-25 North and merge onto S. Colorado Blvd going North approx 2.5 miles. Turn right onto E. Alameda Ave .16 miles. Turn slight right onto Leetsdale (2nd light) .26 miles. Then turn right at the 1st light which is S. Cherry St. 425 S. Cherry St is the first tall building on your right just past Noodles & Company.

Map and Directions

Back to top

Should you lease or buy a new business vehicle?

As with most decisions in life, taxes should only be one of the considerations. Here are a few of the non-tax considerations on buying or leasing a business vehicle:

1. Number of miles you drive each year: leased cars often charge extra fees for miles driven over 10,000 or 12,000/year

2. How long you keep a car: do you get a new car every 3-4 years or keep it until its junk?

3. How much do you want to spend on your monthly payments: lease payments are usually quite a bit less than monthly payments on a car loan

Now let's talk about the tax benefits for the self-employed taxpayer and his or her car used for business. With both purchased and leased cars, you can deduct the related expenses by using the standard mileage rate or actual expenses. Note: If you own the vehicle, you can choose the standard mileage rate in the first year and switch to the actual expense method in a later year if it becomes more favorable. If you lease a vehicle, you may also choose the standard mileage rate in the first year, but once you use the standard mileage rate you must use it for the life of the lease.

With the standard mileage rate, your business mile deduction will be based on 53.5 cents per mile for 2017 (down from 54 cents in 2016). You can also deduct business related parking fees and tolls. For the purchased vehicle, you may also be able to deduct a portion of the interest on your car loan. Under the actual expense rules, for both leased and purchased vehicles, you can deduct the business percentage of your gasoline, oil, insurance, garage rent, parking & registration fees, lease or rental fees, repairs, tires, loan interest, etc.

Purchased vs. Leased Vehicle Expenses

Some expenses differ between purchased and leased vehicles using the actual expense rules. Because you don't own a leased vehicle, you can't depreciate it. But you can deduct the business percentage of your lease payments. So if your yearly lease payment is $4,200 ($350/month) and your business use percentage is 80%, you may be able to deduct $3,360 on your tax return for that year. There is one hitch. Since the tax code limits the depreciation on "luxury" cars, it also limits (to a very small degree) lease payments on such a car. It's called a "lease inclusion amount" and it reduces the deductible lease payments. The higher the original value of the car, the greater the amount.

As the price goes up on the car, leasing usually becomes more preferable. But don't forget if you purchased the vehicle, you can also deduct the interest on the vehicle's loan based on the percentage of business use. If you purchased a car this year to transport passengers for self-employment jobs like Uber and Lyft and you bought a sports utility vehicle, you may be able to deduct up to $25,000 of the cost of the vehicle if you use it more than 50% for your business. If you purchased a car for your business you may also be able to deduct up to the depreciation deduction allowed if your business use is more than 50%.

There is one more difference between buying and leasing a business vehicle. That difference is the disposition of the vehicle. When you dispose of a business vehicle that you own, there may be taxable gain or deductible loss. The portion of any gain that is due to depreciation will be taxed as ordinary income. When you return your leased car to the dealer, there is no taxable gain or loss.

Back to top

Can't locate your Tax Returns?

1. Make sure you are logged into the ShareFile Portal. There is a link on our home page that will take you directly to the correct portal. The Web Organizer portal is only for sending us the completed tax organizer or documents and does not contain your tax returns.

2. Use the correct email address to log in. If you're email has changed, you'll need to log in first with the old email address and then you can change it once you've logged in.

3. If you've forgotten your password, click on the Forgot Password link and a temporary password will be sent to you.

Back to top

Does my HSA provide dental coverage?

Distributions from an HSA to cover an eligible individual's qualified medical expenses, or those of his spouse or dependents, are not taxed. Qualified medical expenses for these purposes generally mean those that would qualify for the medical expense itemized deduction. If funds are withdrawn from the HSA for other reasons, the withdrawal is taxable. Additionally, an extra 20% tax will apply to the withdrawal, unless it is made after reaching age 65, or in the event of death or disability.

Qualified Medical Deductions:

1. Transportation. The cost of getting to and from medical treatment is a medical expense. This includes taxi fares, public transportation, or the cost of using your own car. Car costs can be calculated at 17¢ a mile for miles driven in 2017 (19¢ a mile for miles driven in 2016), plus tolls and parking. Alternatively, you can deduct your actual costs, such as for gas and oil (but not your general costs such as insurance, depreciation, or maintenance).

2. Therapists, nurses, etc. The services of individuals other than doctors can qualify as long as the services relate to a medical condition and aren't for general health. For example, costs of physical therapy after knee surgery would qualify, but not costs of a fitness counselor to tone you up. Amounts paid for certain long-term care services required by a chronically ill individual also qualify as deductible medical expenses.

3. Eyeglasses, hearing aids, dental work, psychotherapy, prescription drugs. Deductible medical expenses include the cost of glasses, hearing aids, dental work, psychiatric counseling, and other ongoing expenses in connection with medical needs. Purely cosmetic expenses (e.g., a “nose job”) don't qualify. Prescription drugs (including insulin) qualify, but items such as aspirin and vitamins don't. Neither do amounts paid for operations or treatments that are illegal under federal law (such as marijuana), even if state or local law permits the procedure or drug.

4. Smoking-cessation programs. Amounts paid for participation in a smoking-cessation program and for prescribed drugs designed to alleviate nicotine withdrawal are deductible medical expenses. However, non-prescription nicotine gum and certain nicotine patches aren't deductible.

5. Weight-loss programs. A weight-loss program is a deductible medical expense if undertaken as treatment for a disease diagnosed by a physician. The disease can be obesity itself or another disease, such as hypertension or heart disease, for which the doctor directs you to lose weight. It's a good idea to get a written diagnosis before starting the program. Deductible expenses include fees paid to join the program and to attend periodic meetings. However, the cost of low-calorie food that you eat in place of your regular diet isn't deductible.

6. Dependents and others. You can deduct the medical costs that you pay for your dependents, such as your children. Additionally, you may be able to deduct medical costs you pay for an individual, such as an elderly parent or grandparent, who would qualify as your dependent except that he has too much gross income or files jointly. In most cases, the medical costs of a child of divorced parents can be claimed by the parent who pays them, regardless of who gets the dependency exemption.

In summation, medical costs are fairly broadly defined for deduction purposes. If you believe you may qualify for a deduction or have any questions, please call, (303) 322-8771.

Back to top

Back to top